Recycling converts waste into useful products and conserves natural resources. It also reduces the need for incineration and extends the lifespan of Semakau Landfill.
Recycling is a great way to protect the environment. Did you know that:
- Recycling 1,000kg of paper saves 17 trees.
- Recycling an aluminium can saves 95% of the energy used to make a new one.
- Recycling a glass bottle saves 30% of the energy used to make a new one.
Our 2030 Recycling Targets
Of the waste generated in 2018, more than half - almost 4.63 million tonnes - was recycled.
Singapore has set a national recycling rate target of 70% in 2030, with
- an increase in domestic recycling rate from 22% in 2018 to 30% in 2030, and
- an increase for non-domestic recycling rate from 74% in 2018 to 81% in 2030.